Monday, April 14, 2008

Some Weeks in the Crates

I recently discovered a music blog called Flea Market Funk and I really dig it. It includes reviews of hard to find 45s and LPs as well as lists of new records that the author of the site has found. With this as my inspiration, I have decided to make a quick list of the findings from my last few digging expeditions for anyone who cares. In these last few weeks, my digging has turned up some wonderful recordings, so I feel the need to list them here. Enjoy. Also, there will be an extra little surprise at the end of the post, so be sure to keep reading.

LP's:

Ahh...The Name is Bootsy Baby! - Bootsy Collins
This Boot is Made for Fonk-N - Bootsy Collins
8th Wonder - The Sugarhill Gang
Rocky Mountain Shakedown...Live in 1976 - Funkadelic
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan
Revolver - The Beatles
Hot Rocks: The Rolling Stones '64-'71 - The Rolling Stones
Super Bad is Back: 20 Original Hits-20 Original Stars: Funk Compilation
Hang on Ramsey: Ramsey Lewis

45's:

Walk on the Wild Side/Perfect Day - Lou Reed
What Is Hip?/Clever Girl - Tower of Power
Love Train/Who Am I - The O'Jays
Killing Me Softly/Just Like a Woman - Roberta Flack

Now for the Treats:

Lou Reed - Perfect Day



Although this song is a classic, at the time of its release, it was overlooked as it was the b-side to "Walk on the Wild Side." This is unbelievable I know. Anyhow, In 1996, the tune was featured on the soundtrack to the film Trainspotting,and, as a result, became a huge hit in England. I think we all need to thank the English for reviving cool music and then sending it back to the US.

Bootsy:

With my wonderful Bootsy findings, it is only logical that I post some footage of Boots and the Boys. I have been saving these videos for a while and now seems like as good a time as any to post them. Below is a video filmed in 1990 at a club in NYC called SOB's. The concert features Bootsy's Rubber Band as well as the Horny Horns. This means that Maceo and Fred Wesley are playing with Bootsy also. This is the ending jam. Notice Maceo playing Right to the Camera. Fred also hits it towards the end. WOW!!!



Below is Bootsy's Rubber Band playing in Houston on Halloween 1976. The Horny Horns are playing here too and Maceo gets down again. The song is called "Pstchoticbumpschool" and is featured on Bootsy's first album Stretchin' Out With Bootsy's Rubber Band. Also, I believe that Bootsy was opening for P-Funk on this tour.



These are TREATS and we are all lucky to be able to see them. Peace.

No comments: